Point CPA logo

Point CPA


P.O. Box 1411 Bismarck, ND 58502-1411



July/August 2021

Trending Now: Roth IRA Rollovers

Trending Now Roth IRA Rollovers

Tax-free withdrawals and no required minimum distributions (RMDs) at any age are two characteristics that make Roth individual retirement accounts (IRAs) popular with investors. Current relatively favorable tax rates have made rollovers from traditional IRAs an option to consider. But, as with any investment, it’s important not to rush into a rollover without first taking into account the possible effects of such a move.

IRAs in a Nutshell
Contributions to a traditional IRA are made before income taxes are taken out, allowing your savings to accumulate tax deferred until you withdraw the money, presumably at retirement. You must begin taking distributions from traditional IRAs and other tax-deferred retirement accounts once you reach age 72.*

Alternatively, contributions to a Roth are made with after-tax dollars, so withdrawals of earnings are tax free after age 59½, as long as you’ve had the Roth IRA for five years. (Roth contributions can be withdrawn tax free at any time, but an early withdrawal penalty may apply.) And you are not required to take distributions during your lifetime, so, if you don’t need the money, you can pass along the Roth account to your heirs.

The Taxing Details
If you’re thinking of rolling over funds from a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA, make sure you have sufficient funds to pay the taxes on the amount you roll over—preferably without tapping the account. Keep in mind that the conversion could push you into a higher income tax bracket since that money will be taxed as income in the year you roll it over.

If you’re enrolled in Medicare Part B, the income from converting a traditional IRA could also result in a high-income surcharge on your premium in a future year.

When a Rollover Might Make Sense
If you’ve experienced a drop in the value of your traditional IRA recently, rolling over the funds to a Roth IRA while the value of your investments is down may lower the tax hit.

*Taxpayers born before June 30th, 1949 must still use age 70 1/2 to start taking required minimum distributions.


Enter your Name and Email address to get
the newsletter delivered to your inbox every month.


Enter your Name, Email Address and a short message. We'll respond to you as soon as possible.

Point CPA PC and LTM Marketing Specialists LLC are unrelated companies. This publication was prepared for the publication’s provider by LTM Client Marketing, an unrelated third party. Articles are not written or produced by the named representative.

The information and opinions contained in this web site are obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but their accuracy cannot be guaranteed. The publishers assume no responsibility for errors and omissions or for any damages resulting from the use of the published information. This web site is published with the understanding that it does not render legal, accounting, financial, or other professional advice. Whole or partial reproduction of this web site is forbidden without the written permission of the publisher.