Schwartz Financial Associates logo

Schwartz Financial Associates, Inc


701 Route 73 North, Suite 6, Marlton, NJ 08053

Phone: (856) 216-0390



January/February 2022

Natural Disasters: Are You Covered for Flood Damage?

Natural Disasters Are You Covered for Flood Damage

Hurricanes, wildfires, catastrophic flooding — if your home or business were affected by a natural disaster, would your current insurance cover the damage? You might be surprised to learn that a typical homeowners or business insurance policy generally does not cover flood damage. For that, you'll need flood insurance.

Getting Flood Insurance
The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) provides coverage for dwellings and their contents to people living in one of 23,000 participating NFIP communities. Homes and businesses located in high-risk flood areas with mortgages from government-backed lenders are required to have flood insurance. Flood insurance is available through the federal government and private insurers.

Federal Assistance
The federal government provides disaster assistance following a Presidential Disaster Declaration. Assistance comes in two forms: loans that must be paid back with interest, and grants, averaging $5,000 per household. More information is available at

However, flooding can happen anywhere at any time due to poor drainage systems, summer storms, broken water mains, etc. Flood insurance pays for damage to your home or business regardless of whether there is a disaster declaration.

Separate Coverage
Flood insurance offers building coverage and contents coverage. Policies generally have separate deductibles. Building coverage pays for damage to structures, electrical and plumbing systems, furnaces/water heaters, foundations, detached garages, fuel tanks, well-water tanks/pumps, solar energy equipment, etc. Coverage limits for homeowners are typically $250,000 for buildings and $100,000 for contents. Coverage limits for businesses are up to $500,000 for buildings and $500,000 for contents. Businessowners may want to purchase additional insurance for valuable equipment and property not covered by a flood insurance policy.

Other Disasters
People in earthquake-prone areas may be able to purchase earthquake coverage as an add-on to a homeowners or business policy, or as a separate policy. Although fire damage generally is covered by homeowners and business insurance, special coverage may be available in certain brush and wildfire areas.


Enter your Name and Email address to get
the newsletter delivered to your inbox.

Please include name of person that directed you to my online newsletter so I can thank them personally.


Enter your Name, Email Address and a short message. We'll respond to you as soon as possible.

Registered Representative offering securities through Cetera Advisor Networks LLC, member FINRA/SIPC, a broker/dealer and a registered investment adviser. Cetera is under separate ownership from any other named entity.
Advisory Services and Financial Planning offered through Vicus Capital, Inc., a Federally Registered Investment Advisor.
For a comprehensive review of your personal situation, always consult with a tax or legal advisor.  Neither Cetera Advisor Networks LLC nor any of its representatives may give legal or tax advice.
Schwartz Financial Associates, Inc and LTM Marketing Specialists LLC are unrelated companies. This publication was prepared for the publication’s provider by LTM Client Marketing, an unrelated third party. Articles are not written or produced by the named representative.

The information and opinions contained in this web site are obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but their accuracy cannot be guaranteed. The publishers assume no responsibility for errors and omissions or for any damages resulting from the use of the published information. This web site is published with the understanding that it does not render legal, accounting, financial, or other professional advice. Whole or partial reproduction of this web site is forbidden without the written permission of the publisher.